A report, titled “#Major Depression: The Impact on Overall Health,” by #Don Rauf, found that diagnoses of major depression swelled by 33 percent between 2013 and 2016, based on data from more than 41 million Blue Cross Blue Shield members. Depression rates were highest among young people, leaping by 63 percent for teens and 47 percent for millennials.
I decided this year as part of my daily devotional reading that I would write something I was thankful for each day. I use the blank space in #Joel and Victoria Osteen’s, #Today’s Word Devotional Calendar. Its effect has been quite powerful. As I thumb through my notes, I’m surprised at how rich I am in blessings and what new things each day I have to be thankful for. It’s been quite uplifting and like George Bailey, I can say, “It’s a Wonderful Life!”
I read an article in #PsychologyToday by #Amy Morin LCSW, entitled, #7 Scientifically Proven Benefits of Gratitude, that corroborated this phenomenon. The article lists these scientifically proven benefits as follows:
- Gratitude opens the door to more relationships.
- Gratitude improves physical health. Grateful people experience fewer aches and pains and report feeling healthier than other people.
- Gratitude improves psychological health.Gratitude reduces a multitude of toxic emotions, from envy and resentment to frustration and regret.
- Gratitude enhances empathy and reduces aggression.
- Grateful people sleep better.
- Gratitude improves self-esteem.
- Gratitude increases mental strength. For years, research has shown gratitude not only reduces stress, but it may also play a major role in overcoming trauma.
I dare you to write down like I did what you’re grateful for each day. You don’t have to use a daily devotional or be a #Christian. The attitude of gratitude doesn’t discriminate. The body responds and is self-healing by design. Just as your body automatically clots to heal itself when cut, it will do the same, when hurt emotionally when you charge it with affirmations of gratitude.
Give yourself a #30-day challenge and let me know what happens. If you like this post, don’t forget to share it, like it, and comment. It will give me another reason to be thankful and to help others.
Happy is the man that finds wisdom, and the man that gets understanding. Proverbs 3:13